Generally, our new computers only have one physical hard drive, marked as C drive but most of us will partition the hard drive, which is good to manage hard drive and quickly access data.
How to Partition a Hard Drive in Windows
1. Right-click on "This PC" and choose "Manage".
2. Move to "Disk Management" in "Storage".
3. Select the target drive, and then, right-click and hold it to select "New Simple Volume..." option.
4. Click "Next" in the pop-up "New Simple Volume Wizard" window.
5. Next, do as the instructions shown to finish partitioning.
Don't forget to format the new drive, or you are not allowed to access it. To make sure it can successfully be opened, you can enable the "Format Partition" option in "New Simple Volume Wizard" settings. If the option is not enabled, don't worry, just a few steps below will help.
1. In "Disk Management", right-click on the new drive and choose "Format...".
2. Finish the format settings. Type the volume label and set "NTFS" to file system.
3. After that, click "OK" to continue formatting.