In this guide, we will introduce the methods on formatting the hard drive on Mac.
Format External Hard Drive on Mac
- Connect the hard drive to your Mac.
- Open Finder and choose Applications> Utilities> Disk Utility to launch the app on your Mac.
- Once you open the Disk Utility, you can see the external drives on your Mac are listed on the left-hand sidebar. Just select the one you want to format and click on the Erase tab.
- Then complete these items:
- Name: Type the name that you want the disk to have after you erase it.
- Format: Choose the format you need. If you are going to use an external drive for both your Windows PC and your Mac, you should choose the ExFAT or FAT format.
- Click Erase button to start erasing the external hard drive and wait for completion.
Format New Hard Disk on Mac
Formatting a new hard disk means setting up a file system in the new drive in macOS. Check the guide below:
- You have to start from macOS Recovery by restarting the Mac and immediately pressing "Command + R". Then select Disk Utility from the Utilities window and click Continue.
- When it comes to erasing your disk and every container and volume within it, you might be asked to enter your Apple ID.
- If you want your Mac to be able to start up from the disk you erased, reinstall macOS on the disk. Restart your Mac when it finishes.